Saturday 10 September 2016

A Close Encounter...

September 7th/8th

My eyes flashed open and I bolted upright – yanked out of a deep sleep by a loud crash of bushes outside my window. The crash turned to what sounded like thrashing against the bushes and rocks outside and there were grunting sounds and the chomping and tearing of flesh. So what I initially thought was a buffalo crashing around inside the fence, a bit like a bull in a china shop, I decided must be more! In hindsight, I wish I’d had the presence of mind to peer out the window and have a look, but instead, I snuggled back down into the cozy comfort of my bed and fell back asleep.

Waking up, I recalled the night’s interruption like a dream – vaguely remembering the fuzzy details. But just outside my little house I came face to face with the remains of some type of gazelle. It looked like the scene of a bloody murder, the rocks splattered and blood soaked soil on the path, a few abandoned intestines strewn here and there, and the grassy contents of the stomach in a fermented heap. I stood, taking it all in, a bit like Inspector Clouseau, I surveyed the crime-scene and the clues and I drew conclusions about what I thought had happened.

When Josh, Donna, Mungo, and I all met at The Mess Tent our different theories and all the clues, and were all condensed into one. Judging by the sound that was made and the mess, my idea that it had been a leopard was overruled by Josh’s suspicion that it was actually a lion. And looking at what was left of the prey, we all agreed that it looked to be an impala. So, our final theory: A single lion taking down an impala – right outside my window!


 Written By Lizzie

No comments:

Post a Comment